Saint Joseph’s Catholic Church, designed by James Joseph McCarthy (1817-82), the “Irish Pugin”, has dominated the centre of Carrickmacross since the mid nineteenth century.  The eye-catching tower was added by George Coppinger Ashlin (1837-1921) at the turn of the twentieth century.  The decoration of the interior continued into the 1920s when Harry Clarke (1889-1931), Ireland’s best known stained glass artist, received a commission for a single two-light window.  The commission eventually increased to a suite of ten two-light windows and today visitors to the church will see jewel-like scenes from the Bible and depictions of the Irish Saints including Saint Ceara, Saint Dympna, Saint Macartan and Saint Tigernach, amongst others.

Click here to visit the Carrickmacross Parish website