George Moore (1729-99), on his return to Ireland following a profitable career in Spain, found himself drawn to the scenery around Lough Mask and consequently purchased an estate in the locality, building a mansion to a design attributed to John Roberts (1712-96) of Waterford.  The woods bordering Lough Mask continue to attract numerous visitors year round and feature as their centrepiece the impressive ruins of the noble Moore Hall.  Keen walkers may also take the opportunity to visit the nearby burial place of George Moore (1770-1840), George Henry Moore (1810-70) and Senator Colonel Maurice George Moore (1854-1939).

Click here  to visit the Mayo Walks website