Built between 1594 and 1610 for John Rothe Fitz-Piers (d. 1620), merchant and one-time Mayor of Kilkenny, Rothe House is steeped in rich local and national history and a visit is one of the highlights of any day out in Kilkenny. The house, purchased by Kilkenny Archaeological Society in 1962, is open to the public as a museum displaying a selection of the historic artefacts collected by the Society since its founding in 1947. The artefacts relate to Kilkenny heritage throughout the ages and some date from prehistoric times. The adjoining garden has since 2008 been open to the public and is a faithful reconstruction of an early seventeenth-century urban garden.
Click here to view the Rothe House and Garden website