Set against the dramatic backdrop of Mount Leinster and the Blackstairs Mountains, and overlooking the River Barrow as it winds through lush woodland, Borris House is one of the few Irish houses that can trace its ancestry back to the royal ruling families of ancient Ireland. The present house, rebuilt in 1731, was significantly remodelled in the early nineteenth century by Sir Richard Morrison (1767-1849) and William Vitruvius Morrison (1794-1838) who introduced Tudor Gothic motifs including curvilinear hood mouldings and battlemented parapets. Inside a suite of exuberant rooms includes the entrance hall with its florid plasterwork by George Stapleton (1777-1844); the columnar screened dining room; the bow-ended drawing room; and a vaulted library. All of the rooms contain the majority of the original furniture and paintings. Visitors to Borris House can also avail of tours of the adjoining private chapel and the recently restored Borris Lace Museum.
Click here to visit the Borris House website