Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Scientific, Technical
1850 - 1855
Five-arch viaduct over road, built 1852-3; opened 1854. Closed, 1958. Now disused. Part creeper- or ivy-covered rock faced granite ashlar walls centred on benchmark-inscribed margined rock faced granite ashlar tapered piers with rock faced cut-granite coping to parapets. Series of five round arches with margined rock faced granite ashlar voussoirs. Sited spanning road.
A viaduct erected to a design attributed to William Dargan (1799-1867) of Dublin identified as an important component of the mid nineteenth-century civil engineering heritage of south County Dublin on account of the connections with the development of the Dublin and South Eastern Railway (DSER) line opened (1854) by the Dublin and Wicklow Railway (DWR) Company with the architectural value of the composition, one recalling the so-called "Nine Arches Viaduct" (1854) at Milltown (see 6022----), confirmed not only by the robust rock faced surface finish demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also by the lofty "sweep" of the arches making a dramatic visual statement in a sylvan street scene: meanwhile, a discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography and the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).