Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1945 - 1955
Detached three-bay two-storey flat-roofed house, built 1950; extant 1953, on an L-shaped plan with single-bay (north) or two-bay (south) two-storey side elevations. Extended, 2005, producing present composition. One of a pair. Bitumen felt-covered flat roof with overhanging concrete or rendered eaves. Rendered walls. Square-headed central door opening with concrete step threshold, and concealed dressings with cantilevered reinforced concrete canopy framing replacement glazed timber door. Grouped square-headed strip openings (first floor) with concealed dressings framing glass block inserts. Square-headed window openings with concealed dressings framing replacement uPVC casement windows replacing steel casement windows. Set in landscaped grounds with rendered piers to perimeter having stringcourses below pyramidal capping.
A house erected to a design by Anthony Johnson representing an important component of the mid twentieth-century domestic built heritage of south County Dublin with the architectural value of the composition, one of a pair of identical houses including the neighbouring Annacrivey designed for his own family (see 60230101), confirmed by such attributes as the compact "cubic" plan form centred on a canopied doorcase; the Art Deco-like "strips" showing ribbed opaque glass block inserts; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the slightly oversailing flat roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the restrained interior: however, the introduction of replacement fittings to most of the openings has not had a beneficial impact on the character or integrity of a house forming part of a neat self-contained ensemble making a pleasing, if largely inconspicuous visual statement in Kill Lane.