Survey Data

Reg No

60230052


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Previous Name

Picnic Cottage


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1855 - 1865


Coordinates

321483, 225627


Date Recorded

12/04/2016


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay single-storey house, extant 1862, on a rectangular plan. Renovated, 1992. Replacement pitched slate roof with "Fleur-de-Lys"-crested roll moulded clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks having rendered capping supporting terracotta pots, slightly sprocketed eaves, and uPVC rainwater goods on timber eaves boards. Roughcast walls. Square-headed central door opening with concealed dressings framing glazed timber double doors having overlight. Square-headed flanking window openings with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing two-over-two timber sash windows. Set back from line of road in landscaped grounds with hedge boundary to perimeter.

Appraisal

A house representing an integral component of the mid nineteenth-century built heritage of south County Dublin with the architectural value of the composition, one erected as the estate office for William Wellington Bentley (d. 1896) and John Bentley (d. 1906), suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form centred on a featureless doorcase. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house making a pleasing, if largely inconspicuous visual statement in a sylvan street scene.