Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Canal lock, built c. 1790, on Grand Canal. Tooled ashlar granite walling with double-leaf timber gates and cast-iron fixings. Located west of McCartney Bridge and east of Eustace Bridge with Wilton Terrace to the north and Mespil Road to the south.
The Grand Canal, connecting the city of Dublin with the River Shannon, was first proposed in 1715. Work by the Commissioners for Inland Navigation began in 1757 and was completed in 1804. This lock is one of forty-three located along its length, and is one of five double locks. The canal is an excellent and well preserved example of mid to late eighteenth-century engineering and its history is socially important to the city of Dublin. It now also provides an important amenity space for the city.