Survey Data

Reg No

50930321


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

School master's house


Historical Use

School


In Use As

Office


Date

1835 - 1845


Coordinates

316405, 232965


Date Recorded

28/08/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached three-bay two-storey former school and headmaster’s residence, built c. 1840, attached to recent three-storey over basement building to rear. Now in use as offices. Replacement hipped natural slate roof, eight rooflights inserted into south pitch, half-round cast-iron rainwater goods mounted on timber fascia eaves over paired rafter-tails, brick chimneys to rear (south) pitch with replacement clay pots. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond to north elevation, roughly coursed and squared limestone rubble walls to remaining elevations, having brick quoins to north corners, limestone quoins to south corners and area of yellow brick infill to east elevation laid to English garden wall bond. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, plain brick reveals, projecting granite sills, block-and-start brick reveals to west window. Replacement eight-over-eight sliding timber sashes with horns. Round-headed central door opening having brick voussoirs, timber lined reveals, panelled pilasters supporting moulded cornice with decorative fanlight having sun-motif, over six-panelled timber door.

Appraisal

Despite recent alterations to the physical fabric and contextual setting, the building remains of architectural interest in an area dominated by four-storey late-Georgian and early-Victorian townhouses. As a former school the building is also of social interest.