Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


316356, 233033

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1830, with southern bay angled, and rear elevation with bowed bay and two-stage flat-roofed return. Now in use as offices. Replacement mansard-style roof, concealed by parapet with moulded granite cornice and coping. Rendered chimneystacks to party walls with lipped clay pots, that to south having yellow brick upper section. Parapet gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to south-east corner, uPVC downpipes to rear. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond over rendered walling to basement beneath granite stringcourse. Rendered walling to rear (west) elevation, ruled-and-lined rendered to return. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and granite sills; granite surrounds to basement opening with metal grille affixed to reveals. Largely six-over-six sliding timber sash windows with profiled horns, three-over-six to third floor, ten-over-ten to basement with convex horns. Some Wyatt-style windows to bowed rear bay (west) and eight-over-eight sash to second floor; segmental-headed opening to first floor of return with decorative multi-paned sash having diamond-motifs and coloured glass margins. Largely cast-iron guard rails to first and second floors, wrought-iron to third floor. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and recessed surround containing prostyle portico with nail-head panelled frieze and moulded cornice carried on Scamozzian-Ionic columns over plinth stops, with plain fanlight and panelled linings to timber panelled door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform approached by six bull-nosed granite steps, flanked by curved iron railings with decorative cast-iron finials and collars on granite plinth, enclosing basement areas to north and south. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Rear plot bound on Quinn’s Lane by rubble stone wall with brick and masonry coping..


Laid out c. 1820, Pembroke Street Upper is characterised by well-proportioned late-Georgian style brick terraces which display restrained detailing and classically-styled doorcases. Despite some fabric alterations, No. 27 neatly turns the corner and forms part of a cohesive terrace, comprising Nos. 27-32 (50930280-5), which is largely well-retained and is distinguished by Scamozzian-Ionic doorcases, petal fanlights and decorative ironwork. The terrace makes a positive contribution to the streetscape and to the historic Georgian core of south Dublin.