Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1805 - 1815


316427, 233169

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1810, with three-storey return to rear. Now in use as offices. Pitched roof concealed by brick parapet with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to south party wall with lipped yellow and replacement clay pots. Parapet gutters. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond over ruled-and-lined rendered walling to basement beneath granite plinth course. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and masonry sills. One-over-one sliding timber sash windows with horns, six-over-six to basement with ogee horns. Decorative cast-iron planters to first floor openings and steel grilles to basement. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded rendered reveals and recessed rendered surround containing portico with fluted frieze and moulded cornice carried on Ionic columns over plinth stops, plain fanlight and raised-and-field timber panelled door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper, approached by five granite steps flanked by iron railings with decorative cast-iron corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement to south-side. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Modernised (or replacement) two-storey hipped roofed mews building with rendered walling to rear on Laverty Court with integral square-headed vehicular opening.


Likely built as a pair with No. 49 (50930266), this former townhouse forms part of a relatively intact imposing early-nineteenth century streetscape. Although largely homogenous in character and form, the subtle variations between terraces are indicative of the speculative nature of the square’s development. Almost all of the western side was completed between c. 1807-15. Laid out in 1791 by the surveyors J & P Roe, Fitzwilliam Square was the last of the city’s Georgian squares to be completed. Development was staggered, progressing slowly due to the French wars. Home of Joshua Pym, winner of the Men's Singles at Wimbledon in 1893 and 1894.