Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1830


316341, 232985

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse with integral carriage-arch, built c. 1825, with recessed western bay to rear (south) and bowed bay to east-side. Now in use as offices. M-profiled slate roof, hipped to east-side of western-bay of rear span; hipped M-profile roof over central and eastern-bays of rear span aligned perpendicular to street, concealed by brick parapet with granite coping. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to east party wall, rendered to west, with yellow clay pots. Parapet gutters with cast-iron downpipes and hoppers. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond over smooth rendered walling to basement beneath granite stringcourse. Smooth render to rear (south) walls with buff brick to recessed west-bay, laid to Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and granite sills. Generally six-over-six original sliding timber sash windows with some historic glass retained, three-over-three to third floor and ten-over-ten to basement. Cast- and wrought-iron balconettes to first floor window openings and steel grille affixed to basement opening. Two round-headed openings to central-bay of rear elevation. Largely side-hung multi-paned timber casements to rear (a number are historic), eight-over-eight sash and bipartite window with one-over-one sashes having ogee horns to bowed east-bay. Round-headed door opening principal elevation (north) with brick voussoirs, moulded reveals and engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze and cornice surmounted by replacement plain fanlight over ten-panelled timber door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper approached by five granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement area. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Elliptical-headed integral carriage-arch to western bay, providing access to Pembroke Place. Single-storey flat-roofed extension to centre of rear elevation.


Laid out c. 1820, Pembroke Street Upper is characterised by well-proportioned late-Georgian red brick terraces which display restrained detailing and classically-styled doorcases. This typical example of a late-Georgian townhouse retains its original fa├žade composition, historic windows, a good Neo-classical doorcase and is further enriched by the original setting features including the cast-iron railings and balconettes. Forming a key part of a terrace of similar townhouses, this building makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of Pembroke Street Upper and to the historic Georgian core of south Dublin.