Survey Data

Reg No

50930237


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


Date

1820 - 1830


Coordinates

316347, 232989


Date Recorded

16/09/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with bowed-bay to west-side of rear (south) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Pitched slate roof to north running perpendicular to street, hipped M-profile to rear pile running perpendicular to street, concealed by brick parapet with granite coping. Shouldered brick chimneystacks with lipped clay pots to west party wall, parapet gutters and cast-iron downpipes with hoppers to principal elevation (north) with some replacements. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond over ruled-and-lined rendered walling to basement, beneath granite stringcourse. Smooth rendered walls to rear (south). Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and granite sills. Largely original six-over-six sliding timber sash windows, three-over-three to third floor and replacement three-over-three to basement with cast-iron grille affixed. Generally recent multi-paned replacement timber sashes to rear with horns, possible late-nineteenth century eight-over-eight sash to bowed second floor bay with iron guard rail affixed and twin bipartite one-over-one timber sash to first floor. Round-headed door opening to principal elevation (north) with brick voussoirs, moulded reveals and engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze and cornice surmounted by ornate fanlight with lantern removed, over ten-panelled timber door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper, approached by five granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement well to west of principal elevation (north). Coal-hole cover to pavement. Recent steel steps to basement level. Single-storey over basement flat-roofed extension to rear (south).

Appraisal

Laid out c. 1820, Pembroke Street Upper is characterised by well-proportioned late-Georgian red brick terraces which display restrained detailing and classically-styled doorcases. This typical example of a late-Georgian townhouse retains its original fa├žade composition, historic windows, a good Neo-classical doorcase and is further enriched by the original setting features including the cast-iron railings. Forming part of a terrace of similar townhouses, this building makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of Pembroke Street Upper and to the historic Georgian core of south Dublin.