Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with two-stage return to rear (south). Now in use as flats. M-profiled roof, hipped to east of rear span, concealed by brick parapet with granite coping, replacement brick chimneystacks with lipped clay pots to west party wall. Parapet gutters and cast-iron downpipe to west-end of principal elevation (north). Refaced red-brick walling laid in Flemish bond over ruled-and-lined rendered basement, beneath granite stringcourse. Smooth rendered walls to rear (south). Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and granite sills. Generally original six-over-six sliding timber sash windows, three-over-three to third floor and ten-over-ten to basement. Round-headed door opening to principal elevation with moulded reveals, brick voussoirs and engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze and cornice surmounted by plain fanlight with historic glass, over ten-panelled timber door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper approached by six granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement well to west of principal elevation (north). Coal-hole cover to pavement. Masonry steps to basement level. Possible original mews building to rear plot addressing Pembroke Place.
Laid out c. 1820, Pembroke Street Upper is characterised by well-proportioned late-Georgian red brick terraces which have restrained detailing and classically-styled doorcases. Despite the refacing of the principal (north) elevation, which sets it apart from the other terraces, this former townhouse retains its original façade composition, historic windows and a good Neo-classical doorcase. Forming part of a terrace of similar townhouses, the building makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of Pembroke Street Upper and constitutes part of the historic Georgian core of south Dublin.