Survey Data

Reg No

50930234


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1820 - 1830


Coordinates

316364, 232999


Date Recorded

16/09/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with single-storey return to rear (south). Now in use as offices. M-profiled slate roof, hipped to west of rear span, concealed by brick parapet with granite coping, shouldered rendered and brick chimneystacks with lipped clay pots to east party wall, parapet gutters and cast-iron downpipe to east of principal elevation (north). Red-brick walling in Flemish bond over rendered walling to basement beneath granite stringcourse. Smooth rendered walling to rear (south). Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and projecting granite sills, pair of round-headed openings to rear. Iron balconettes to first floor openings. Early-twentieth century one-over-one sliding timber sash windows with horns to first and ground floor; possibly original timber sashes without horns to remainder with three-over-three to third floor, six-over-six to second floor and ten-over-ten to basement. Round-headed door opening with moulded reveals, brick voussoirs and engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze and cornice surmounted by ornate leaded and stained-glass fanlight over ten-panelled timber door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper approached by six granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement area to east. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Recent steel steps to basement level. Rubble stone mews building to rear addressing Pembroke Place.

Appraisal

Laid out c. 1820, Pembroke Street Upper is characterised by well-proportioned late-Georgian red brick terraces which have restrained detailing and classically-styled doorcases. This substantial former townhouse retains its original fa├žade composition, a good Neo-classical doorcase and is further enriched by the original setting features, decorative balconettes and mews building to rear. Forming part of a terrace of similar townhouses, this building makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of Pembroke Street Upper and to the historic Georgian core of south Dublin.