Survey Data

Reg No

50930232


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1820 - 1830


Coordinates

316382, 233017


Date Recorded

16/09/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with integral carriage-arch to southern-bay and three-storey return to rear (east). Now in use as offices. Double-pitched slate roof, concealed by brick parapet with granite coping, shouldered rendered chimneystacks with lipped yellow clay pots to north and south party walls and at rear (east) aligned parallel to street. Parapet gutters, cast-iron downpipe with hopper to south-end of principal elevation (west). Red-brick walling laid in Flemish bond (rebuilt on upper floor), over ruled-and-lined rendered walling to basement beneath granite stringcourse. Buff brick walling to rear (east). Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and granite sills (some replacement). Single round-headed opening to rear return. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor openings. Generally original six-over-six sliding timber sash windows, three-over-three to third floor, eight-over-eight to basement with cast-iron grille affixed to reveals. Round-headed door opening with moulded reveals, brick voussoirs and fluted Doric columns supporting plain frieze and cornice surmounted by ornate cobwebbed fanlight over eight-panelled timber door with central beaded-muntin. Elliptical-headed integral carriage-arch to south-bay, square-headed opening to rear with segmental-headed buff brick voussoirs; inner walls smooth cement-rendered. Granite entrance platform to principal elevation, with cast-iron boot scraper, approached by five granite steps and flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement areas to north and south. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Rear elevation abutted by roughly coursed and squared limestone boundary wall. carriage-arch to Fitzwilliam Court.

Appraisal

Laid out c. 1820, Pembroke Street Upper is characterised by well-proportioned late-Georgian red brick terraces which have restrained detailing and classically-styled doorcases. This substantial former townhouse retains its original fa├žade composition, much historic glass, a good Neo-classical doorcase and is further enriched by the original railings and decorative balconettes. Built as a pair with No. 1 (50930231) and forming part of a terrace of similar townhouses, it makes a positive contribution to the streetscape and to the historic Georgian core of south Dublin.