Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with two-storey over basement return to rear (east). Now in use as embassy. Double-pitched slate roof, concealed by brick parapet with granite coping, shouldered brick chimneystack with lipped yellow clay pots to north gable, parapet gutters. Red-brick walling in Flemish bond, with rusticated granite quoins to north-west corner, rendered walling to basement beneath granite stringcourse. Buff brick walls to north gable. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs and projecting granite sills. Cast-iron balconettes to first floor openings. Generally original six-over-six sliding timber sash windows, three-over-three to third floor, eight-over-eight to basement. Round-headed door opening to principal elevation (west) with moulded reveals, brick voussoirs and Doric doorcase comprising fluted Doric columns supporting plain frieze and cornice surmounted by ornate fanlight over eight-panelled timber door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper approached by five granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings over granite plinth, enclosing basement wells to north and south. Coal-hole cover to pavement.
Laid out c. 1820, Pembroke Street Upper is characterised by well-proportioned late-Georgian red brick terraces. This substantial former townhouse retains its original façade composition, a good Neo-classical doorcase and original railings. Built as a pair with No. 2 (50930232) and forming part of a terrace of similar townhouses, it makes a positive contribution to the streetscape and to the historic Georgian core of south Dublin.