Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1885 - 1895
Freestanding cast-iron pillar postbox, erected c. 1890. Circular-plan with moulded plinth rising to moulded cornice, surmounted by shallow domed cap having toothed markings to perimeter. Makers mark ‘A. Handyside & Co., Derry & London’ to plinth. Letter slot with raised lettering ‘Post Office’. Raised lettering ‘VR’ insignia and raised keyhole plate to curved door. Located on footpath at junction of Fitzwilliam Square South and Pembroke Street Upper.
Located on a prominent corner site, this well-made piece of street furniture enhances the streetscape. Still in active use, it was designed and installed to mark Queen Victoria’s Jubilee in 1887, bearing the distinctive imperial cipher of Victoria Regina. This design remained largely unchanged until being further refined in 1905. It is a high-quality example of mass-produced cast-iron work.