Categories of Special Interest
The Swiss Private Hotel
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with two-stage return over basement to rear (south). Now in use as offices. M-profiled slate roof, hipped to east of rear span, concealed by ashlar granite parapet with moulded cornice and coping, parapet gutters, shouldered brick chimneystacks to east and west party walls, rendered to west with masonry coping, with red and yellow clay pots. Red brick walling in Flemish bond over rusticated ashlar granite walling to ground floor, roughly coursed and squared limestone walls to basement beneath granite stringcourse to lintel level. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs and projecting painted masonry sills, continuous granite sill course to first floor, granite surrounds to basement. Cast- and wrought-iron balconettes to first floor windows and metal grille affixed to basement reveals. Largely six-over-six sliding timber sash windows, three-over-three to third floor and eight-over-eight to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening to principal elevation (north) with moulded reveals and Greek Doric doorcase with distyle fluted Doric columns supporting plain frieze and cornice surmounted by cobwebbed fanlight over eight-panelled timber door with beaded muntin. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper, approached by five bull-nosed granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement well to west. Steel steps to basement level. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Cement rendered blockwork wall with square opening to south boundary on Fitzwilliam Court. Modernised mews building to rear, with mansard-style roof, concealed behind rubble limestone wall with granite coping to south boundary on Fitzwilliam Court, containing elliptical-headed carriage-arch with recent timber gates.
Nos. 30-5 were built as a unified group by John Vance. Characterised by restrained detailing, vertical massing and well-balanced proportions the principal elevation is enlivened by the imposing Greek Doric doorcase, a common feature of the group, which is complemented by a variety of classically-styled doorcases across the remainder of the terrace. Retaining its original aspect to Fitzwilliam Square, the ornate balconettes, granite steps and decorative cast-iron railings serve to enhance the overall street setting. Forming part of a largely cohesive terrace, , the rusticated stonework across the ground floor of Vance’s terrace, and that to the east by Clement Codd, suggests a degree of collaboration during the design or construction. However the subtle variations across the wider streetscape is indicative of the speculative nature of the square’s development. The south side constituted the final phase of construction, built between c. 1823-8 by three different contractors. Laid out in 1791 by the surveyors J & P Roe, Fitzwilliam Square was the last of the city’s Georgian squares to be completed. Development was staggered and progressed slowly until after the Napoleonic Wars.