Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1830


316451, 233025

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with three-stage return to rear (south). Now in use as offices. M-profiled roof, hipped to west of rear span, concealed by ashlar granite parapet with moulded cornice and coping, rendered chimneystacks to east party wall with yellow clay pots, parapet gutters with cast-iron downpipe and hopper to west of principal elevation (north). Red brick walling in Flemish bond over rusticated granite walling to ground floor level, painted ruled-and-lined rendered walling to basement beneath moulded painted granite stringcourse to lintel level. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and painted granite sills; painted granite surround to basement, moulded sill course to first floor windows. Cast-iron balconettes to first floor, decorative cast-iron rail to ground floor sill and painted metal grille affixed to sill of basement opening. Generally six-over-six sliding timber sash windows, three-over-three replacement to third floor having horns, one-over-one to first and ground floor with horns. Elliptical-headed door opening to principal elevation (north) with moulded reveals and Ionic columns supporting decorative frieze and dentilled cornice, flanked by decorative leaded sidelights and recumbent pilasters, surmounted by plain glass fanlight over twelve-panelled painted timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scrapers, approached by five bull-nosed granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings topped with arrow-headed finials over granite plinth, enclosing basement area. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Mews building to rear concealed behind rubble limestone boundary wall on Kingram Place, punctuated by an ashlar limestone elliptical-headed carriage-arch with brick voussoirs over double-leaf metal-sheeted doors.


Nos. 24-9 were built as a unified group by Clement Codd. Characterised by restrained detailing, vertical massing and well-balanced proportions, the principal elevation is enlivened by the ornamental Ionic doorcase, a common feature of the group, which is complemented by a variety of classically-styled doorcases across the remainder of the terrace. Retaining its original aspect to Fitzwilliam Square, the ornate balconettes, granite steps and decorative cast-iron railings serve to enhance the overall street setting. Forming part of a largely cohesive terrace, the rusticated stonework across the ground floor of Codd’s terrace, and that to the west by John Vance, highlights a degree of collaboration during the design phase, however the subtle variations across the wider streetscape is indicative of the speculative nature of the square’s development. The south side constituted the final phase of construction, built between c. 1823-8 by three different contractors. Laid out in 1791 by the surveyors J & P Roe, Fitzwilliam Square was the last of the city’s Georgian squares to be completed. Development was staggered and progressed slowly until after the Napoleonic Wars.