Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with shared full-height pitched return to rear and two-storey over basement return with curved south-east corner. Now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof, hipped to west, concealed by ashlar granite parapet with moulded cornice and coping, shouldered brick chimneys to east party wall and shared rendered chimney to south gable of full-height return, with red clay pots; parapet gutters and replacement cast-iron downpipes to east of principal (north) elevation with hopper beneath vermiculated pier to eaves. Red brick walling in Flemish bond over coursed ashlar granite walling to basement beneath granite stringcourse. Rendered walls to rear. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and projecting masonry sills; plain rendered surrounds to rear. Iron guard rails affixed to sills of third and second floor windows, continuous cast-iron balconette across first floor level and remnants of balconette fixings to ground floor. Some round-headed openings to rear returns and square-headed tripartite window to first floor south. One-over-one timber sliding sash windows, largely with horns, two-over-fifteen to basement with reeded glass to upper panes. Some timber casements to rear (south) returns, number of openings blocked on east elevation of full-height return. Round-headed door opening to principal elevation (north) with brick voussoirs, moulded rendered reveals and Greek Ionic doorcase having plain frieze and cornice supported on fluted Ionic columns, with plain fanlight and eleven-panelled timber door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scrapers, approached by six granite steps and flanked by decorative cast-iron railings over curved granite plinth, enclosing basement area. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Steel steps to basement well. Street-fronted on south side of Fitzwilliam Square. Ashlar limestone elliptical-headed carriage-arch with brick voussoirs to south boundary on Kingram Place, abutted by rubble limestone wall with blocked square-headed door opening having brick surrounds.
Nos. 19-23 were built as a unified group by the firm of Henry, Mullins & McMahon, although 22-23 are a pair with a slightly higher cornice level. A typical example of the Dublin Georgian townhouse, the well-balanced proportions and restrained detailing of the principal elevation is enlivened by the Greek Ionic doorcase, a common feature of the group, complemented by a variety of classically-styled doorcases across the remainder of the terrace. Retaining its original aspect to Fitzwilliam Square, the ornate balconettes, granite steps and highly decorative cast-iron railings serve to enhance the street setting. Forming part of cohesive terrace, the subtle stylistic and material variations between the neighbouring groups of terraces highlight the speculative nature of the square’s development. The south side constituted the final phase of construction, c. 1823-8, comprising terraces by three different contractors. Laid out in 1791 by the surveyors J & P Roe, Fitzwilliam Square was the last of the city’s Georgian squares to be completed. Development was staggered and progressed slowly until after the Napoleonic Wars.