Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with full-height return to west-bay of rear (south), abutted by two-storey over basement return with curved south corners. Now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof, concealed by ashlar granite parapet with moulded cornice and coping, shouldered brick chimneystacks to west party wall with red clay pots, parapet gutters and replacement cast-iron rainwater goods to principal elevation (north). Red brick walling in Flemish bond over coursed ashlar granite walling to basement beneath stringcourse. Smooth rendered walls to rear. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and projecting granite sills; plain rendered surrounds to rear. Iron guard rails affixed to sills of third and second floor windows, cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows and metal grille affixed to basement opening. Generally original six-over-six timber sash windows, three-over-three to third floor, fifteen-over-ten to basement. Round-headed door opening to principal elevation with moulded rendered reveals and Greek Ionic doorcase having plain frieze and cornice supported on fluted Ionic columns, with ornate fanlight and eleven-panelled timber door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scrapers, approached by six granite steps and flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement area. Coal-hole cover to pavement and steel steps to basement. Modernised two-storey mews building to rear. Ashlar limestone elliptical-headed carriage-arch to south boundary on Kingram Place, abutted by rubble limestone wall with square-headed door opening having recent timber door and brick surrounds.
Nos. 19-23 were built as a unified group by the firm of Henry, Mullins & McMahon. A typical example of the Dublin Georgian townhouse, the well-balanced proportions and restrained detailing of the principal elevation is enlivened by the Greek Ionic doorcase, a common feature of the group, complemented by a variety of classically-styled doorcases across the remainder of the terrace. Retaining its original aspect to Fitzwilliam Square, the ornate balconettes, granite steps and cast-iron railings serve to enhance the overall street setting. Forming part of cohesive terrace, the subtle stylistic and material variations between the neighbouring groups of terraces highlight the speculative nature of the square’s development. The south side constituted the final phase of construction, c. 1823-8, comprising terraces by three different contractors. Laid out in 1791 by the surveyors J & P Roe, Fitzwilliam Square was the last of the city’s Georgian squares to be completed. Development was staggered and progressed slowly until after the Napoleonic Wars.