Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1830


316505, 232991

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, with three-storey return to rear (south). Now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, concealed by ashlar granite parapet with moulded cornice and granite coping, shouldered brick chimneystacks to east party wall with yellow clay pots, parapet gutters and cast-iron downpipe with hopper to west of principal elevation (north). Red brick walling in Flemish bond over coursed ashlar granite walling to basement, beneath granite stringcourse. Rendered walls to south. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and projecting granite sills; plain rendered surrounds to rear. Iron guard rails affixed to sill of third floor windows, cast-iron balconette to second, replacement balconette to ground floor and continuous to first floor level, metal grille affixed to reveals of basement window. Six-over-six timber sliding sash windows generally with horns, three-over-three to third floor, replacement ten-over-fifteen to basement. canted-bay window to upper floor of south elevation of rear return. Round-headed door opening to principal elevation (north) with moulded rendered reveals and Greek Ionic doorcase having plain frieze and cornice supported on projecting di-style fluted Ionic columns, with ornate fanlight and eleven-panelled timber door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper, approached by six granite steps and flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts over granite plinth, enclosing basement area. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Concrete steps to basement area. Recent mews building to rear, accessed via recent piers and gates from Kingram Place.


Nos. 19-23 were built as a unified group by the firm of Henry, Mullins & McMahon. A typical example of the Dublin Georgian townhouse, the well-balanced proportions and restrained detailing of the principal elevation is enlivened by the Greek Ionic doorcase, a common feature of the group, complemented by a variety of classically-styled doorcases across the remainder of the terrace. Retaining its original aspect to Fitzwilliam Square, the ornate balconettes, granite steps and cast-iron railings serve to enhance the overall street setting. Forming part of cohesive terrace, the subtle stylistic and material variations between the neighbouring groups of terraces highlight the speculative nature of the square’s development. The south side constituted the final phase of construction, c. 1823-8, comprising terraces by three different contractors. Laid out in 1791 by the surveyors J & P Roe, Fitzwilliam Square was the last of the city’s Georgian squares to be completed. Development was staggered and progressed slowly until after the Napoleonic Wars.