Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey former townhouse over basement, built c. 1810, with two-stage return with recent extension abuts to west-side of rear (south) elevation. Now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof, hipped to west-end, shouldered rendered chimneystacks to east party wall with replacement clay pots, concealed behind brick parapet with granite coping, parapet gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipes (some uPVC). Red brick walling laid to Flemish bond, English garden wall bond to rear; rendered walling to basement with granite stringcourse. Square-headed window openings with projecting granite sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs; openings diminishing to upper floors. Paired openings to basement with rendered mullion, surrounds and sill, with cast-iron grilles fixed to reveals. Rounded opening to second floor rear intersected by return extension. Largely replacement six-over-six timber sliding sash windows with horns, three-over-three to third floor; range of multi-paned timber sashes to rear, two diminutive openings with timber and uPVC casements, four-light diminutive casement to south elevation of rear return. Iron guard rails to rear first floor window. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs to western bay of principal elevation with Neo-classical doorcase comprising moulded reveal, engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze with rosettes and moulded cornice with cobwebbed leaded fanlight over eight-panelled timber door with brass furniture. Paved granite entrance platform, with cast-iron boot scraper, accessed from street by three granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings with decorative corner posts on granite plinth, enclosing basement well to east. Street fronted onto the south side of Baggot Street Lower, abutted by similar terraces to east and west.
Likely to have been built as a cohesive terrace comprising Nos. 105-8 (50930164-7), the buildings are fine examples of late-Georgian townhouses. Despite some replacement fabric insertions, the materials, massing and restrained detailing contribute to the strong architectural continuity which remains on the south-side of Baggot Street Lower. The streetscape of the southern-side is characterised by similar terraced groups, however the subtle discrepancies between levels, detailing and materials is indicative of the speculative nature of development within the street. Baggot Street, as it became known in 1773, is an ancient route from the city which was named after the manor granted to Robert Bagod in the thirteenth-century, called Baggotrath. Developed on Fitzwilliam’s land during the late-eighteenth century, construction of the street progressed slowly due to the economic recession of the 1790s; the area to the west of Fitzwilliam Street was built by the late 1790s but development to the east was more gradual with gaps remaining until the mid-nineteenth century.