Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1800 - 1820


316735, 233165

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey former townhouse over basement, built c. 1810, with two-stage return with recent extension abuts to east-side of rear (south) elevation. Now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof, hipped to east-end, rendered chimneystacks to west party wall with clay pots, concealed behind rebuilt brick parapet with granite coping, concealed gutters with cast-iron hoppers and downpipes. Buff brick walling laid in Flemish bond, rendered walling to basement with granite stringcourse over and iron pattress plates to principal (north) elevation; render to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings with projecting granite sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs, openings diminishing to the upper floors. Plain rendered surrounds to basement and rear (south) openings. Largely six-over-six timber sliding sash windows generally with horns; three-over-three to third floor, six-over-three to basement (partially bricked up) with iron grilles fixed to sill, two-over-two to rear ground floor, partially blocked round-headed window opening to stairwell landing level bisected by recent return, number of uPVC and timber casements to rear return. Round-headed door opening to eastern bay of principal elevation with Neo-classical doorcase comprising rendered reveal, moulded cornice over fluted frieze supported on engaged Ionic columns with plinth stops and cobwebbed leaded fanlight over ten-panelled timber door with brass furniture. Paved granite entrance platform, with cast-iron boot scraper, accessed from street by two granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings on granite plinth, enclosing basement well to west. Street fronted onto the south side of Baggot Street Lower, abutted by similar terraces to east and west.


Likely to have been built as a cohesive terrace comprising Nos. 105-8 (50930164-7), the buildings are fine examples of late-Georgian townhouses. Despite some replacement fabric insertions, the materials, massing and restrained detailing contribute to the strong architectural continuity which remains on the south-side of Baggot Street Lower. The streetscape is characterised by similar terraced groups, however the subtle discrepancies between levels, detailing and materials is indicative of the speculative nature of development within the street. Baggot Street, as it became known in 1773, is an ancient route from the city which was named after the manor granted to Robert Bagod in the thirteenth-century, called Baggotrath. Developed on Fitzwilliam’s land during the late-eighteenth century, construction of the street progressed slowly due to the economic recession of the 1790s; the area to the west of Fitzwilliam Street was built by the late 1790s but development to the east was more gradual with gaps remaining until the mid-nineteenth century.