Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1800 - 1820


316724, 233180

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace three-bay four-storey former townhouse, built c. 1810, with integral carriage-arch to eastern bay. Now in commercial use with offices above. Pitched roof concealed behind brick parapet topped with granite coping, brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots to rear elevation (running parallel to street) and east party wall, concealed gutters to north, replacement uPVC downpipes breaking through to west of principal elevation, replacement uPVC rainwater goods to rear. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cross-shaped pattress plates, a variation of English garden wall bond to rear elevation; quarry-faced ashlar granite to eastern-bay of north elevation ground floor and rubble limestone to ground floor of eastern elevation, with wrap-around continuous granite stringcourse. Walling to interior of carriage-arch generally buff brick laid in English garden wall bond, with rubble limestone to east and rounded granite pier to south-western corner. Square-headed window openings with projecting sills, generally rendered reveals and brick voussoirs; openings diminishing to upper floors. Oculus to west bay of rear elevation having brick surrounds and leaded stained glass window. Largely one-over-one timber sliding sash windows with horns, three-over-three modern timber casements to third floor; segmental-headed bricked-up window opening to west-face of carriage-arch. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor openings. Projecting shopfront to ground floor with square-headed door opening to east, having timber panelled door with dentilled cornice and plain glass overlight; flanked by fluted masonry pilasters on panelled plinth stops with pearl moulding rising to fluted console brackets topped with pediments over panelled timber fascia and cornice. Recent shopfront to west having plain glass display windows, signage fascia surmounted by timber cornice. Segmental-headed carriage-arch to eastern bay with ashlar granite surround and voussoirs, cast- and wrought-iron gates, flanked by granite carriage stops. Square-headed door opening to eastern gable with granite lintel, limestone surrounds, timber jamb and timber-sheeted door. Street-fronted onto the south side of Baggot Street Lower with Lad Lane to the west, accessed via carriage-arch of adjoining building No. 109 (50930163). Two-storey building to rear yard, with hipped slate roof and curved south-east corner addressing Lad Lane; abutting to west elevation of neighbouring building (50930163), with canted north-west corner and abutted to rear of No. 110 by single-storey proportion with angled north-western wall.


This building has been successively altered, resulting in some loss of historic fabric and detailing, particularly on the ground floor. However, the materials, massing and proportions contribute to the strong architectural continuity which remains on the south-side of Baggot Street Lower. Details such as the decorative cast-iron balconettes, the granite carriage stops and the stained-glass oculus to the rear all serve to enrich the architectural character of the building and further enhance the street setting. Forming part of a largely cohesive terrace, the streetscape is characterised by similar terraced groups, however the subtle discrepancies between each is indicative of the speculative nature of development within this street. Baggot Street, as it became known in 1773, is an ancient route from the city which was named after the manor granted to Robert Bagod in the thirteenth-century, called Baggotrath. Developed on Fitzwilliam’s land during the late-eighteenth century, construction of the street progressed slowly due to the economic recession of the 1790s; the area to the west of Fitzwilliam Street was built by the late 1790s but development to the east was more gradual with gaps remaining until the mid-nineteenth century.