Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Corner-sited end-of-terrace two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1830, as a part of a group comprising Nos. 34-41.. Two-bay north elevation to Baggot Street Lower and two-stage return to rear (east). Now in use as hotel and offices. M-profiled roof concealed by brick parapet with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to north party wall with lipped clay pots. Parapet gutters with pair of uPVC downpipes to north elevation. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond with rusticated granite quoins to north-west corner, rusticated ashlar granite walling to ground floor with granite plinth course over tooled ashlar limestone walling to basement. Basement well enclosed with recent metal-framed plastic covered awning. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and masonry sills; granite surrounds to basement and rusticated granite to ground floor. Largely replacement six-over-six timber sliding sash windows with ogee convex horns; uPVC windows to third floor. Largely uPVC windows to north and east elevations. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor openings to principal (west) elevation. Round-headed door opening with moulded reveals and recessed surround containing panelled frieze and moulded cornice carried on half-fluted Doric columns over plinth stops, with plain fanlight and raised-and-field timber panelled door with beaded-muntin and brass furniture. Shared granite entrance platform, with cast-iron boot scraper, approached by five nosed granite steps, flanked by iron railings to north with decorative arrow-headed finials on granite plinth, enclosing basement well. Plainly detailed square-headed door opening to basement with rendered round-headed surround, having recent door and signage fascia. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Recent steel fire escape staircase to rear (east).
A fine former townhouse, built by Benjamin Norwood as part a cohesive terrace comprising Nos. 34-41 (50930099-5 & 156-8). It is distinguished from the other terraces on the street by the rusticated granite treatment across ground floor level. According to Casey (2005) the terrace retains noteworthy interiors, 'Inside, copious ovolo and guilloche ornament, Temple of the Winds columns to the room on the first stair return and Parthenon frieze overdoors.' Located on a prominent corner site, the overall character of No. 41 with its Doric doorcase and cast-iron balconettes is largely retained. The development of Fitzwilliam Street Upper began on the north-end of the western side during the early-nineteenth century. Although largely homogeneous in character and form, the subtle variations between the terraces are indicative of the speculative nature of development.