Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1815 - 1835


316531, 232938

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1825, as a group with Nos. 5-7 Fitzwilliam Place (50930133-5). Two-stage return to rear. Now in use as offices. M-profiled slate roof, hipped to south, concealed by ashlar granite parapet with moulded cornice and coping, pair of brick shouldered chimneystacks to north party wall with replacement lipped clay pots. Parapet gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to north end. Red-brick walling laid in Flemish bond, rusticated ashlar granite walling to ground floor over coursed ashlar limestone walling to basement beneath granite stringcourse. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and projecting granite sills. Cast-iron balconettes (possibly mild-steel replacements) to second floor openings and cast-iron grille affixed to basement opening. One-over-one sliding timber sash windows with cavetto horns, possible multi-paned original to basement. Round-headed door opening with rendered engaged Scamozzian-Ionic pilasters and surrounds, framed by distyle prostyle portico with matching columns, having a plain frieze and moulded cornice rising to petal fanlight over six-panelled timber door with beaded-muntin and brass furniture. Shared granite entrance platform approached by six bull-nosed granite steps flanked by cast-iron railings with arrow-head finials, enclosing basement to north-side. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Modernised two-storey mews building to rear (east) with integral square-headed carriage-arch, concealed behind random roughly dressed limestone boundary wall to Lad Lane with shared square-headed vehicular opening and separate pedestrian opening, each having replacement steel gates.


Forming part of a similarly detailed group (Nos. 5-7), this terrace retains fine neo-classical doorcases and porticos, rusticated granite walling to ground floor, and decorative iron railings. Developed in conjunction with the east and south sides of Fitzwilliam Square, the eastern side of Fitzwilliam Place was completed by 1836, with the exception of five houses to the south-end. Built in pairs or groups, the designs emulated those of Fitzwilliam Square South, but Casey (2005) notes that the interior ornament of Fitzwilliam Place is generally more varied and richer, particularly the internal stair halls.