Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1815 - 1825


316642, 233136

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1820, with two-storey return to rear (east). Now in use as apartments. Pitched roof to west, irregular M-profiled hipped roofs to rear (east) span, concealed by brick parapet with masonry coping. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to north party wall with lipped yellow clay pots. Parapet gutters, cast-iron hopper and downpipe to north end. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond, rendered walling to basement beneath granite plinth course. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and masonry sills; granite surrounds to basement opening. Timber sliding sash windows, possibly original with some historic glass; largely six-over-six, three-over-three to third floor, eight-over-eight to basement and two-over-two late-nineteenth century replacement to ground floor with ogee horns. Cast-iron balconettes to first and second floors and steel grille to basement. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded reveals and recessed surround containing fluted frieze and moulded cornice carried on Ionic columns over plinth stops, with plain fanlight and raised-and-field timber panelled door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper, approached by three granite steps flanked by iron railings with decorative cast-iron corner posts on granite plinth, enclosing basement to north-side. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Mild-steel steps to basement. Street fronted on Fitzwilliam Street Upper. Two-storey recent mews building to rear lining eastern boundary on Lad Lane.


This former townhouse retains its traditional form and proportions, mellow brick which contrasts with the granite dressings, well executed ironwork, and a handsome Ionic doorcase. The development of Fitzwilliam Street Upper began on the north-end of the western side during the early-nineteenth century. Taken as a whole with Fitzwilliam Street Upper and the east-side of the Merrion Square, this uninterrupted stretch constitutes the longest piece of Georgian streetscape in Dublin. Although largely homogenous in character and form, the subtle variations between the houses are indicative of the speculative nature of development.