Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


316676, 233194

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1830, with two-stage return to rear (east). Now in use as offices. M-profiled roof concealed by brick parapet with granite coping. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to south party wall with lipped yellow clay pots. Parapet gutters. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond, rusticated ashlar granite walling to ground floor with granite plinth course over tooled ashlar limestone walling to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals and masonry sills; granite surrounds to basement opening and rusticated granite to ground floor. Largely replacement six-over-six timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, three-over-three to third floor and eight-over-eight to basement. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to second and third floor openings, steel grille to basement. Round-headed door opening with moulded reveals and recessed surround containing panelled frieze and moulded cornice carried on half-fluted Doric columns over plinth stops, with plain fanlight and raised-and-field timber panelled door having beaded-muntin and replacement brass furniture. Shared granite entrance platform, with cast-iron boot scrapers, approached by four nosed granite steps, flanked by iron railings to south with decorative arrow-headed finials on granite plinth, enclosing basement well. Coal-hole cover to pavement. Street fronted on the eastern side of Fitzwilliam Street Upper.


A fine former townhouse, built by Benjamin Norwood as part a cohesive terrace Nos. 34-41 (50930099-5 & 156-8). It is distinguished from the other terraces on the street by the rusticated granite treatment across ground floor level. According to Casey (2005) the terrace retains noteworthy interiors, 'Inside, copious ovolo and guilloche ornament, Temple of the Winds columns to the room on the first stair return and Parthenon frieze overdoors.' It retains its traditional form and proportions, mellow brick which contrasts with the granite dressings, well executed ironwork, and a handsome Doric doorcase. The development of Fitzwilliam Street Upper began on the north-end of the western side during the early-nineteenth century. Although largely homogeneous in character and form, the subtle variations between the terraces are indicative of the speculative nature of development.