Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1820, with two-storey abutment to rear (west). Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to north of rear span, set behind parapet wall with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks with lipped clay pots to north and south party walls. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing, ruled-and-lined rendered walling to rear (west). Moulded granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered basement wall. Gauged brick square-headed window openings, single round-headed to second floor rear, with granite sills, patent reveals and timber sash windows; original three-over-three pane to third floor, original six-over-six pane to second floor, replacement six-over-six pane to first and ground floors and replacement top-hung timber casement window to basement. Original wrought-iron balconettes to first floor. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with masonry Ionic doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by Ionic columns supporting fluted lintel entablature and replacement spoked timber fanlight. Late-nineteenth century four-panelled timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels, beaded muntin and brass door furniture, opening onto granite platform and granite steps with original horse-shoe cast-iron boot scraper. Platform and basement enclosed by original wrought- and cast-iron railings set on granite plinth wall with steel steps providing access to basement, having recent door beneath platform. Forming part of a continuous terrace of former townhouses lining west side of Fitzwilliam Street Upper. Recent red brick mews building to rear.
A handsome terraced early-nineteenth century former townhouse retaining its original façade composition and much original external fabric, including sash windows and well-executed ironwork. The granite dressings contrast with the mellow brick, adding colour and textural interest. The fine Ionic doorcase with its simple spoked fanlight forms the decorative focus. It forms part of a long terrace of former residences and contributes significantly to the coherent appearance of the streetscape in the heart of the south Georgian core.