Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1820, with two-storey rear return (west). Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, set behind parapet wall with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks with lipped clay pots to south. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with lime pointing, rebuilt in red brick on upper floor of rear. Moulded granite plinth course over tooled limestone ashlar basement wall. Gauged brick square-headed window openings with granite sills, patent reveals and original timber sash windows; three-over-three pane to third floor, eight-over-eight pane to basement, with metal grille affixed, and to second floor rear, largely six-over-six to remainder except for metal casement to second floor rear. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with masonry Doric doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by half-fluted Doric columns supporting panelled lintel entablature and original decorative fanlight. Original timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels and brass door furniture opening onto shared granite platform and granite steps with original decorative cast-iron boot scraper. Platform and basement enclosed by original wrought- and cast-iron railings set on granite plinth wall with concrete steps providing access to basement. Forming part of a continuous terrace of former townhouses lining west side of Fitzwilliam Street Upper. Rendered brick over rendered rubble limestone boundary wall to south on Baggot Court with flat roof modern extension abutting to rear; two square-headed openings and segmental-headed opening with timber sheeted doors.
A handsome terraced early-nineteenth century former townhouse retaining its original façade composition and much original external fabric, including sash windows and well-executed ironwork. The granite dressings contrast with the mellow brick, adding colour and textural interest, while the fine Doric doorcase and fanlight forms the decorative focus. It forms part of a long terrace of former residences and contributes significantly to the coherent appearance of the streetscape in the heart of the south Georgian core.