Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1820, with L-plan full-height rear return (west), abutted by two-storey return. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to north and west of return, set behind parapet wall with granite coping, plastic hopper and downpipe breaking through to south. Replacement shouldered brick chimneystack with lipped clay pots to north. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing, English garden wall bond to rear. Moulded granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement wall. Gauged brick square-headed window openings, round-headed opening to rear return, with granite sills, feathered reveals and timber sash windows; bipartite timber casement windows to third floor, original six-over-six pane sashes to second floor, original eight-over-eight pane sashes to basement and early-twentieth century one-over-one timber sash windows to ground and first floors. Replacement timber casements to rear. Original decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor of east elevation. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with masonry Doric doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by Doric columns supporting panelled lintel entablature and original decorative fanlight. Original timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels and brass door furniture opening onto granite platform and granite steps with decorative cast-iron boot scraper. Platform and basement enclosed by original wrought- and cast-iron railings set on granite plinth wall with concrete steps providing access to basement. Forming part of a continuous terrace of former townhouses lining west side of Fitzwilliam Street Upper. Rendered western gable of two-storey return fronts onto Baggot Court, abutted by rendered wall to north.
A handsome terraced early-nineteenth century former townhouse retaining its original façade composition and much original external fabric, including sash windows and well-executed ironwork. The granite dressings contrast with the mellow brick, adding colour and textural interest, while the fine Doric doorcase forms the decorative focus. It forms part of a long terrace of former residences and contributes significantly to the coherent appearance of the streetscape in the heart of the south Georgian core.