Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1820, with L-plan full-height rear return (west). Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to south and west of return pile, set behind parapet wall with granite coping, plastic hopper and downpipe breaking through to north. Replacement shouldered brick chimneystack with lipped clay pots to south. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing, English garden wall bond to rear. Moulded granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered basement wall. Gauged brick square-headed window openings with granite sills, patent reveals and original timber sash windows to front and rear with much historic glass; three-over-three pane to third floor, eight-over-eight to the basement and six-over-six pane to remainder. Some replacements to rear. Original iron balconettes to the upper floors of eastern elevation. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with painted masonry Doric doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by Doric columns supporting panelled lintel entablature and original decorative fanlight. Original timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels and brass door furniture opening onto granite platform and granite steps with decorative cast-iron boot scraper. Platform and basement enclosed by original wrought- and cast-iron railings set on painted granite plinth wall with timber steps providing access to basement. Forming part of a continuous terrace of former townhouses lining west side of Fitzwilliam Street Upper.
A handsome terraced early-nineteenth century former townhouse retaining its original façade composition and much original external fabric, including sash windows and well-executed ironwork. The granite dressings contrast with the mellow brick, adding colour and textural interest, while the fine Doric doorcase with its fanlight forms the decorative focus. It forms part of a long terrace of former residences and contributes significantly to the coherent appearance of the streetscape in the heart of the south Georgian core. 'No. 4 has elaborate Greek Revival plasterwork in the ground and first-floor rooms.' Casey (2005)