Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement townhouse, built c. 1800, with shallow rear pile. Irregular M-profile pitched slate roof set behind parapet wall with granite coping, parapet gutters and shouldered brick chimneystack with lipped clay pots to south. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing. Moulded granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Gauged brick square-headed window openings with feathered reveals, granite sills, and timber sash windows; possibly original three-over-three pane to third floor, nineteenth-century two-over-two pane to remaining floors with historic glass. Original wrought-iron balconettes to first floor and granite surround to basement window opening, with metal grille affixed. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with masonry Ionic doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by Ionic columns supporting fluted lintel entablature and replacement fanlight. Original timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels and brass door furniture opening onto shared granite platform and granite steps. Platform and basement enclosed by original wrought- and cast-iron railings set on granite plinth wall with steel steps providing access to basement. Forming part of a continuous terrace of former townhouses lining west side of Fitzwilliam Street Upper.
A handsome terraced early-nineteenth century townhouse retaining its original façade composition and much historic external fabric. The granite dressings contrast with the mellow brick, adding colour and textural interest, while the doorcase and fanlight forms the decorative focus. It forms part of a long terrace of former residences and contributes significantly to the coherent appearance of the streetscape in the heart of the south Georgian core.