Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1790 - 1810


316652, 233241

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced four-bay four-storey over basement townhouse, built c. 1800, with single-storey return to rear. Irregular M-profile pitched slate roof with parapet gutters, shouldered brick chimneystacks to party walls having lipped clay pots, set behind parapet wall with granite coping. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with wigged pointing. Granite course with lead-lined course below and ruled-and-lined rendered basement wall. Gauged brick square-headed window openings, granite sills, and timber sash windows; original three-over-three pane to third floor, original six-over-six to second floor and replacement timber sash windows to first, ground and basement floors. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with painted masonry Doric doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by pilasters with responding Doric columns supporting entablature and spoked fanlight. Original eight-panelled timber door with brass door furniture opening onto granite platform with cast-iron boot scraper and granite steps to street. Platform and basement enclosed by original wrought- and cast-iron railings set on granite plinth wall. Steel steps provide basement access with replacement timber panelled door below platform. Fronts onto south side of Baggot Street Lower at the junction with Fitzwilliam Street Upper with no rear plot.


A terraced early-nineteenth century townhouse retaining its original residential use and a wealth of original external fabric, including timber sash windows and fine doorcase which forms the building's decorative focus. This house stands out in the terrace with its four bays, projecting doorcase, and single-pile plan. The elegant fa├žade proportions are maintained, while addressing the interesting problem of how two Georgian terraces seamlessly meet at a junction.