Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1800, with two-storey rear return to south. Now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof, hipped to the east of the rear pile, two shouldered rendered chimneystacks to west with lipped chimneypots, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and parapet gutters. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing, cement course over rendered basement wall. Gauged brick square-headed window openings, granite sills, and replacement double-glazed timber sash windows with partially exposed sash boxes. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with painted masonry Ionic doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted lintel cornice and surmounted by replacement fanlight. Replacement timber panelled door opens onto concrete paved platform and concrete steps to street. Platform and basement well enclosed by original cast and wrought-iron railings set on granite plinth wall. Steel steps provide access to basement with replacement timber door below entrance platform. Fronting onto south side of Baggot Street Lower with three-storey modern residential building occupying site of former coach house to south onto Baggot Court, built c. 2005.
A handsome Georgian terraced former townhouse retaining much of its external composition and historic fabric including an Ionic doorcase and fanlight. Now in commercial use, the building forms part of a coherent stretch of former townhouses lining the south side of a tree-lined street on the south-western approach to St. Stephen’s Green.