Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1790 - 1810


316639, 233249

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1800, with two-storey extended rear return to south. Now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof with two chimneystacks to east hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping, lead hopper and partial lead downpipe breaking through parapet to the east. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing, masonry course over ruled-and-lined rendered basement wall. Gauged brick square-headed window openings, granite sills, and timber sash windows; original six-over-six to the second and basement floors, original three-over-three pane to third floor and early-twentieth century one-over-one timber sash windows to ground and first floors. Original iron balconettes to first floor. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with painted masonry Ionic doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted lintel cornice and surmounted by plain glazed fanlight. Replacement timber panelled door opens onto granite platform with cast-iron boot scraper and granite steps to street. Platform and basement well enclosed by original cast- and wrought-iron railings set on granite plinth wall. Steel steps provide access to basement with replacement timber door below entrance platform. Fronting onto south side of Baggot Street Lower with two-storey replacement mews building to rear fronting onto Baggot Court.


A handsome Georgian terraced former townhouse retaining much of its external composition and historic fabric including a fine Ionic doorcase and some original fenestration. Now in commercial use, the building forms part of a coherent stretch of former townhouses lining the south side of a tree-lined street on the south-western approach to St. Stephen’s Green.