Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1790 - 1810


316603, 233268

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced four-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1800, with integral carriage-arch and two-storey return to south. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to the east of the rear span, set behind parapet wall with granite coping. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to the west party wall with lipped clay pots. Parapet gutters, plastic hopper and downpipe breaking through parapet to the west and to rear elevation. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement strap pointing, painted granite course over ruled-and-lined rendered basement walls. Cement rendered walls to rear elevation. Gauged brick square-headed window openings, granite sills, patent reveals and largely original timber sash windows with historic glass; nine-over-six to first floor with original wrought-iron balconettes, six-over-six to second and basement floors, three-over-three to third floor and replacement six-over-six timber sash windows to ground floor. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with masonry Ionic doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by engaged Ionic columns, fixed sidelights and Ionic pilasters supporting fluted lintel cornice and surmounted by plain glazed fanlight. Replacement eleven panelled timber door opens onto granite paved platform with original iron boot scraper and granite steps to the street. Platform and basement well enclosed by original wrought- and cast-iron railings set on granite plinth wall. Timber steps provide access to the basement with timber panelled door below platform. Elliptical-headed carriage-arch to eastern bay provides vehicular access to Baggot Court. Fronting onto the south side of Baggot Street Lower with several recent buildings occupying former rear garden.


A handsome Georgian terraced former townhouse retaining much of its external composition and original fabric including an Ionic doorcase and an impressive collection of original fenestration. Now in commercial use, the building forms part of a coherent stretch of former townhouses lining the south side of a tree-lined street on the south-western approach to St. Stephen’s Green.