Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1790 - 1810


316575, 233285

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1800, with two-storey over basement return to south. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east, set behind parapet wall with granite coping. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to west party wall with lipped clay pots. Parapet gutters, some rainwater goods visible to rear only. Buff brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement strap pointing, having masonry course over rendered basement walls. Partially cement rendered brick walls to rear elevation. Gauged brick square-headed window openings, single round-headed opening to rear, masonry sills, patent reveals and largely replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, replacement six-over-six to basement and multi-pane to rear (south). Replacement steel balconettes to first floor. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with masonry Ionic doorcase comprising square-headed door opening flanked by engaged Ionic columns, infilled sidelights and Ionic pilasters supporting stepped and fluted lintel cornice and surmounted by plain glazed fanlight. Original timber door with ten raised-and-fielded panels and brass furniture. Door opens onto shared granite platform and steps bridging basement enclosed by original wrought- and cast-iron railings set on granite plinth wall returning to enclose the basement well. Replacement steel steps provide access to basement with glazed timber door below platform. Fronting onto south side of Baggot Street Lower.


A substantial former townhouse retaining a wealth of historic fabric including a handsome doorcase which forms the building's decorative focus. Located in the heart of the south Georgian core, the building retains its original external appearance and greatly contributes to the historic character of the streetscape.