Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Public house


1730 - 1735


316456, 233341

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited attached two-bay three-storey over concealed basement former house, built 1734, with five-bay west side elevation, four-storey single-bay rear section, and late nineteenth-century wrap around pubfront. Now in use as public house. Hipped artificial slate roof with ridge running perpendicular to street, gabled roof to rear section, hipped to north with three chimneystacks to east party wall. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with painted granite coping and cast-iron downpipe to side elevation. Buff brick walls with red wash to front elevation, lime pointing to side elevation and painted rusticated masonry quoins. Rendered south elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and timber sash windows; single-pane to the front elevation with wrought-iron sill guards to the second floor, six-over-six to the side elevation with iron grilles to the ground and first floors. Late nineteenth-century painted rendered pub shopfront with fixed-pane display windows and recessed angled entrance to the corner set behind corner pier, all framed by elaborate foliate console brackets to painted timber fascia and cornice. Double-leaf glazed timber door with glazed side panels open onto tiled area with steel roller shutters. Elliptical-headed door opening to the side elevation with painted masonry Ionic doorcase, peacock fanlight and replacement double-leaf timber panelled door opening onto granite step. Additional later rendered surround to full-height former display window and replacement door. Retaining interior features. Historic granite paving and kerbs to the side elevation.


An early to mid eighteenth-century former house, converted for use as a pub. It has been in continuous use as a public house since 1818 when its original license was purchased by Andrew Rogers. It retains a particularly fine interior with many of the fittings dating from its combined use as a Grocer, Tea, Wine & Spirit Merchant. It is an iconic Dublin pub with an important social function serving the local office population and visitors alike. The remarkably intact exterior greatly contributes to the historic streetscape in the centre of the south Georgian core.