Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1820
Attached three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse with integral carriage-arch, built c. 1815, abutted by two-storey return to centre of rear (east) elevation. Now in commercial use as an office. M-profiled pitched roof, hipped to south and concealed behind parapet with granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks having lipped yellow clay pots to north party wall, brick chimney to east gable of rear return. Concealed gutters with uPVC hopper and downpipe breaking through to rear. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond, over painted rendered basement with granite plinth course. English garden wall bond to rear return. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills, brick voussoirs and those to principal elevation having patent reveals. Granite surround and cast-iron grille to basement window opening. Timber sliding sash windows; nine-over-six to ground floor, six-over-nine to first floor, six-over-six to second floor, three-over-three to third floor and eight-over-eight to basement. Decorative bowed iron balconettes affixed to first floor sills. Wyatt-style window to north bay at rear and single round-headed window opening to central bay. Largely six-over-six sashes to rear with a timber casement to third floor. Round-headed door opening to central bay of principal (west) elevation with sandstone doorcase comprising moulded linings, composite columns on plinth stops rising to moulded cornice over fluted frieze, cobwebbed fanlight with integrated lamp over raised-and-field timber panelled replacement door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot scraper and single step to street flanked by iron railings with decorative corner posts on granite plinth, enclosing basement well to north. Plainly detailed square-headed door opening beneath entrance platform, accessed by masonry steps from street level. Segmental-headed integral carriage-arch to southern bay with brick voussoirs and recent steel gate. Street fronted onto the east side of Ely Place.
Nos. 9-10 (50930010-11) were likely built as a pair, sometime after 1811, on the site of the former garden of Ely House, which remains to the north. Characterised by balanced proportions and restrained detailing, the principal east elevation is enriched by a good classical doorcase, iron balconettes, railings and fanlight. Despite the insertion of some replacement fabric, the pair is well preserved, serving as excellent examples of the Dublin Georgian idiom, and contributing to the architectural continuity of the streetscape. Originally named Hume Row, Ely Place was laid out in 1768, and was named after the surgeon Gustavus Hume who built his house at No. 1 Hume Street (now demolished). With the construction of Ely House (50930012) in 1770, Ely Place developed as a desirable residential street throughout the late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries.