Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1775
End-of-terrace three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built 1771, as part of a terrace of four (50930006-9). Now in commercial use as offices. Pitched roof to front (west) and hipped to north, irregular M-profiled roof to rear (east) with ridge running perpendicular to street and hipped to east, concealed behind parapet with granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks to south party walls with lipped yellow clay pots. Concealed gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to front (west) and uPVC to rear (east). Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond (refaced to parapet), painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement with granite plinth course over. Painted rendered walling to rear (east). Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs to principal (west) elevation. Window openings to basement set in segmental-headed recessed surround with cast-iron grille affixed to sill. Pair of round-headed windows to rear (east) elevation. Largely replacement six-over-six timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, three-over-three to third floor, timber casement to basement. Decorative iron balconettes affixed to first floor sills, iron guard rails to first and second floor rear (east). Round-headed door opening framed by granite doorcase comprising channel-rusticated pilasters rising to stepped moulded cornice with decorative iron fanlight in fluted archivolt over raised-and-field timber panelled door with replacement brass furniture. Polychromatic tiled entrance platform, granite entrance platform with two granite steps to street, flanked by iron railings with decorative cast-iron corner posts on a granite plinth enclosing basement well to south. Plainly detailed square-headed door opening beneath entrance platform with replacement timber door, accessed via mild-steel steps. Street fronted on the east side of Ely Place.
Numbers 11-14 were built as a cohesive terrace by carpenter Robert Price. The houses are characterised by well-proportioned facades which are enriched by good classical doorcases and iron balconettes. Despite the insertion of some replacement fabric the terrace is an excellent examples of the Dublin Georgian idiom. Interiors with original joinery (Casey 2005). Originally named Hume Row, Ely Place was laid out in 1768, and was named after the surgeon Gustavus Hume who built his house at No. 1 Hume Street (now demolished). With the construction of Ely House (50930012) in 1770, Ely Place developed as a desirable residential street throughout the late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries.