Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1775
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built 1771, as part of a terrace of four (50930006-9). Two-storey hipped return abuts to north of rear (east) elevation. Now in commercial use as offices. Pitched roof to front (west), irregular M-profiled roof to rear (east) with ridge running perpendicular to street and hipped to east, concealed behind parapet with granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks to party walls with lipped yellow clay pots, those to south shouldered. Concealed gutters with uPVC hopper and downpipe breaking through to rear. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond (refaced to third floor), painted and rendered basement walling with granite stringcourse over. Painted rendered walling to rear (east) elevation. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, patent reveals, and those to principal (west) elevation having brick voussoirs. Window openings to basement set in segmental-headed recessed surround with steel grille affixed to outer reveal. Largely six-over-six timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, three-over-three to third floor, single-round-headed opening to rear (east) elevation. Decorative iron balconettes affixed to first floor sills. Bipartite uPVC windows to rear return. Round-headed door opening with painted masonry doorcase comprising engaged Ionic columns on plinth stops rising to dentilled lead-lined open pediment, replacement leaded fanlight in moulded architrave over raised-and-field timber panelled door. Granite entrance platform (partially tiled) with cast-iron boot scraper, and three steps to street, flanked by iron railings with decorative corner posts on granite plinth enclosing basement well to south. Plainly detailed square-headed door opening beneath entrance platform with recent timber glazed door and sidelight. Street fronted on the east side of Ely Place.
Numbers 11-14 were built as a cohesive terrace by carpenter Robert Price. The houses are characterised by well-proportioned facades which are enriched by good classical doorcases and iron balconettes. Despite the insertion of some replacement fabric the terrace is an excellent examples of the Dublin Georgian idiom. Original joinery and late Rococo cornices (Casey 2005). Originally named Hume Row, Ely Place was laid out in 1768, and was named after the surgeon Gustavus Hume who built his house at No. 1 Hume Street (now demolished). With the construction of Ely House (50930012) in 1770, Ely Place developed as a desirable residential street throughout the late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries.