Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1820, with five-storey elevation to rear (north). Now in use as apartments. Pitched slate roof, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping, having rendered chimneystack with clay pots to east end and brick chimneystack with clay pots and cast-iron rainwater goods to west end. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond over granite plinth course and rendered walls to basement to front (south) elevation. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond to rear (north) elevation. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and raised rendered reveals, with six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to ground, first and second floors and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to third floor; square-headed window openings with painted reveals, granite sills and eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows to basement to front elevation. Square-headed window openings with cement rendered reveals, masonry sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to second floor and there-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to third and fourth floors to rear elevation. Elliptical-headed door opening with rendered reveals, Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze and cornice, having petal fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite platform and granite steps flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on carved granite plinth, continuing to east and west to enclose basement area. Located on north side of Hatch Street.
A typical late Georgian house, the retrained classical façade is ornamented by the cast-iron railings. The Ionic doorcase, complete with petal fanlight and fluted frieze, represents the work of a skilled artisan and contributes to the artistic character of the building. Located within the Fitzwilliam Estate, which covered much of the south-east of the city, Hatch Street is named after John Hatch who leased development land from the Leeson family. While the street was approved by the Wide Street Commission in 1791, subsequent development was slow, only occurring in the first half of the nineteenth century. The eastern end of the street had been fully developed by the 1830s and the townhouses appear on the first edition Ordnance Survey map.