Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical
In Use As
1815 - 1855
End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1835, with three-storey return to rear (north) elevation. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to east end, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping, having brick chimneystacks with render coping and clay pots and replacement uPVC rainwater goods to west end. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond over carved granite plinth course and rendered walls to basement to front (south) elevation. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls to east and north elevations. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and raised rendered reveals, with replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to ground and first floor, six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to second floor and three-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to third floor. Square-headed window openings with painted reveals, granite sills and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to basement. Square-headed widow openings with rendered reveals, granite sills and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to rear (north) elevation. Round-headed door opening with rendered reveals, having Scamozzi Ionic columns supporting plain frieze and cornice, with petal fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite platform with nosed granite steps flanked by wrought-iron railings on carved granite plinth, continuing to west to enclose basement area. Located on north side of Hatch Street.
A typical late Georgian house, the restrained classical façade is ornamented by the cast-iron railings. The Ionic doorcase, complete with petal fanlight, represents the work of a skilled artisan and contributes to the artistic character of the building. Plaque to wall records that it was the house of the artist Patrick Swift in the 1950s. Located within the Fitzwilliam Estate, which covered much of the south-east of the city, Hatch Street is named after John Hatch who leased development land from the Leeson family. While the street was approved by the Wide Street Commission in 1791, subsequent development was slow, only occurring in the first half of the nineteenth century. The eastern end of the street had been fully developed by the 1830s and the townhouses appear on the first edition Ordnance survey map.