Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1810 - 1850


316196, 232934

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1830, with three-storey return to rear (north) elevation. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping, having brick chimneystacks with clay pots and cast-iron rainwater goods to west end. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond over masonry plinth course and rendered walls to basement to front (south) elevation. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond over rendered wall to ground floor to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and raised rendered reveals, having replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with cast-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron window guards to third floor. Square-headed window opening with painted reveals and replacement uPVC casement window to basement. Square-headed opening with raised rendered reveals, masonry sill and replacement casement window to return to rear elevation. Round-headed door opening with rendered reveals, with Ionic columns supporting plain frieze and cornice, having replacement plain fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite platform and nosed granite steps, shared with building to east, flanked by wrought-iron railings on masonry plinth, continuing to west to enclose basement area. Located on north side of Hatch Street.


A typical late Georgian house, the restrained classical façade is ornamented by its doorcase, balconettes and the cast-iron work railings. The Ionic doorcase, which is paired with a similar doorcase to the west, contributes to the artistic character of the building and provides a decorative focal point. Located within the Fitzwilliam Estate, which covered much of the south-east of the city, Hatch Street is named after John Hatch who leased development land from the Leeson family. While the street was approved by the Wide Street Commission in 1791, subsequent development was slow, only occurring in the first half of the nineteenth century.