Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1830, with five-storey elevation and two-storey return to rear (north). Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, front span hipped to west end, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping, having brick chimneystacks with clay pots and cast-iron rainwater goods to west end. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond over masonry plinth course and rendered walls to basement to front (south) elevation. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond with rendered walls to return to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and raised rendered reveals, with six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows first, second and third floors having cast-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron balconettes to second floor. Square-headed window openings with painted reveals, masonry sills and four-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows to basement to front elevation. Square-headed window openings with raised rendered reveals, masonry sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to first, second and third floors and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash window to fourth floor. Round-headed door opening with rendered reveals, having Tuscan columns supporting plain frieze and cornice, having petal fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite platform with nosed granite steps, shared with building to west, flanked by wrought-iron railings on masonry plinth, continuing to east to enclose basement area. Located on north side of Hatch Street.
A typical late Georgian house, with a restrained classical façade ornamented by doorcase, fanlight, and cast- and wrought-iron balconettes and railings. The Tuscan doorcase, which is paired with a similar doorcase to the west, represents the work of a skilled artisan and contributes to the artistic character of the building. Located within the Fitzwilliam Estate, which covered much of the south-east of the city, Hatch Street is named after John Hatch who leased development land from the Leeson family. While the street was approved by the Wide Street Commission in 1791, subsequent development was slow, only occurring in the first half of the nineteenth century.