Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former townhouse, built c. 1830, with five-storey elevation with three-storey return to rear (north). Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, front span hipped to west end, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping, having brick chimneystacks with octagonal clay pots and cast-iron rainwater goods to east end. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond over granite plinth course and rendered walls to basement to front (south) elevation. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond over rendered walls to ground floor and rendered walls to return to rear (north) elevation. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and raised rendered reveals, having six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to ground, first and second floors and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to third floor having cast-iron balconettes to first floor; square-headed window opening with rendered reveals, masonry sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows to basement to front elevation. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, masonry sills, having six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to first, second and third floors and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to fourth floor; round-headed stair window opening with rendered reveals, masonry sill and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash window to rear elevation. Round-headed door opening having rendered reveals, with Scamozzi Ionic columns supporting plain frieze and cornice, petal fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite platform having cast-iron bootscraper with nosed granite steps, shared with building to west, flanked by wrought-iron railings on carved granite plinth, continuing to east to enclose basement area. Located on north side of Hatch Street.
A typical late Georgian house, the restrained classical façade is ornamented by its doorcase, fanlight, the cast-iron work balconettes and railings. The Ionic doorcase, which is paired with a similar doorcase to the west, represents the work of a skilled artisan and contributes to the artistic character of the building. Located within the Fitzwilliam Estate, which covered much of the south-east of the city, Hatch Street is named after John Hatch who leased development land from the Leeson family. While the street was approved by the Wide Street Commission in 1791, development was slow, only occurring in the first half of the nineteenth century.