Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1850 - 1870


315769, 232966

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over concealed basement former townhouse, built 1862, altered to three-bays on ground floor of principal (west) elevation, and having recent flat-roofed extension to rear (east). Now in use as hotel. Flat roof, concealed behind cogged red brick parapet having projecting brick eaves course on brick brackets with granite coping. Red brick chimneystacks to south party wall, concealed rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond (machine-made on all but ground floor) over granite plinth course. Segmental-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, projecting granite sills and brick reveals, chamfered to third floor, narrow opening to ground floor centre. One-over-one sliding timber sashes with ogee horns, two-over-two on upper floors. Round-headed door openings to outer bays having brick voussoired heads; Romanesque-Revival door to north-bay with engaged chevron ornamented colonnettes and foliate capitals, nail-headed archivolt and keystone, stepped reveals with toothed and rope mouldings having foliate keystone. Ornate carved-timber pilasters supporting carved-timber fascia with ivy-leaf ornament and rope moulded cornice, leaded cobwebbed fanlight and timber panelled door with beaded moulding to centre. South-bay door opening having brick reveals, timber cornice and plain glass fanlight over decorative cast-iron grille to door face with central nail-headed moulding. Granite entrance platform and step to north-bay, flanked by decorative cast-iron railings on carved granite plinth, enclosing paved area to south. Cast-iron coal hole cover to footpath to front. Street-fronted, located on east side of Harcourt Street.


The completion of the nearby Harcourt Street Railway Station in 1859 provided further impetus for construction, particularly at the southern end of the street. This building forms part of a unified terrace of six built during this period. Characteristic of the time, these houses are enlivened by a higher level of ornamentation, including the cogged brick eaves course and variations in window openings, which contrast with the restrained facades of the earlier houses that dominate much of the streetscape. The elaborate Romanesque-style doorcase, with its decorative chevron and rope mouldings, is of particular note, significantly contributing to the overall character of the building. According to Casey (2005) 'Nos. 62-67....doubtless by Thomas Hall & Son, builders....Inside are beefy cornices and bosses and bird console brackets to the arches of the first-floor returns.' Harcourt Street was opened 1777 by John Hatch, barrister and Seneschal of the Manor of St. Sepulchre. Development was sporadic until the late 1790s when Messrs Hatch, Wade and Whitten obtained approval from the Wide Street Commissioners for the further development of the street.